* Update and enhancement in progress. Release planned Feb-21
More people than ever are living with long-term conditions in the UK. As a result, there has been a national drive towards providing patients with long-term, personalised care plans.
The PRSB worked in partnership with the Royal College of Physicians Health Informatics Unit (HIU) and the North West London Collaboration of Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) to develop the digital care and support planning standard, so care plans can be effectively shared between patients, carers and all the health and care professionals involved in that person's care.
Please select the contents tab (above) to view the standard in detail.
The new standard for generic care planning, including end of life treatment, will contribute towards the creation of a more joined-up care system. Standards will also help to enable people to manage their own care, with the support of a wide range of services including GPs, hospitals, occupational therapy and social care. The standard will help citizens and health and care professionals to get the right information when they need it, in order to personalise care, and improve the experience for the patient, their carer and their families.
While the initial standard will focus on generic care planning, there will be further developments in specialist care areas in future.
Enhancement in progress: work to enhance the standard to support digital sharing of care plans for working-age adults with severe and enduring mental health conditions being cared for in the community is underway. Planned release date tbc 2021.
Below you can find a series of supporting documents including the final report, a series of case studies, the results and analysis of the survey and a safety case report.
- Implementation guidance
- Digital care and support plan standard - example use cases
- Digital care and support plan - case studies
- Digital care and support plan final report
- Survey results and analysis
- The standard contents - Mindmap version
This document is the full information model for the Digital care and support plan.
Please note: You will be able to view this in your browser without the need for Mindmap software.
- Information model - PDF version
The Digital care and support plan standard is endorsed by the following organisations:
- Association of the Directors of Adult Social Services
- British Psychological Society
- Care Provider Alliance
- Institute of Health Records and Information Management
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- Royal College of Nursing
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society