01 June 2016
Electronic discharge summary consultation
The PRSB has developed drafts for detailed discharge summary information models, which will eventually carry structured and coded data from hospitals to GP practices.
The draft information models are based on the discharge summary headings in the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC) clinical record standards, published in July 2013, and on detailed medication models developed by Scottish Information Management in Practice (SCIMP).
The final version of the information models will provide the basis for the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) to develop a Clinical Document Architecture (CDA) message specification, for implementation in the NHS in England.
The PRSB is therefore now consulting on two drafts:
- Draft detailed information models.
- Draft implementation guidance. This is an initial set of guidance principles intended to help implementers and vendors to implement the e-discharge summaries.
The drafts are open for review from 5pm on Wednesday 1 June 2016 – please do give us your feedback on firstname.lastname@example.org – the consultation will close at 5pm on Tuesday 5 July 2016.
We are keen to have feedback from the four nations, as the PRSB works across the UK, and welcome comments simply provided by email, referencing the relevant document/section/page number in the body of the email, or by downloading and sending back to us the documents themselves, with your tracked changes on them.
All the drafts are available to review from the HSCIC Clinical Knowledge Manager openEHR models, available in the PRSB transfer of care project on the links below:
- Medications and medical devices
- Allergies and adverse reactions
- Referrer details
- Person completing record
- Patient demographics
- GP practice
- Distribution list
- Discharge details
- Admission details
- E-discharge summary template (other headings)
Alternatively you may wish to download and view them in 'Word' or 'Excel' formats, in which case please click on the links below:
- Medications and medical devices information model (Word)
- Allergies and adverse reaction information model (Word)
- Diagnoses information model (Word)
- Procedures information model (Word)
- Implementation guidance (Word)
- Other discharge summary headings information model (Excel)
There is also a glossary which explains the terms used in the information models, which can be downloaded here.
Many thanks in anticipation of your contributions.